While most of our patients receive light sedation during the injection, you do have the option of opting-out.
Fasting for patients receiving light sedation
- You can drink clear fluids up to 2 hours before the injection.
- Clear fluids include: water, fruit juices without pulp, carbonated beverages, clear tea (sweetened), and black coffee (sweetened). These liquids should not include alcohol.
- You should fast for 6 hours after a light meal. Light meal consists of toast & clear liquid
- You should fast for 8 hrs if the meal includes fried or fatty foods.
For patients NOT receiving sedation
- You do not need to fast
- Please do not stop any medication before consulting with your primary physician
- If you are taking blood thinning or anti-platelet medication please inform Dr. Goswami.
- Plavix should be stopped 7 days before the injection.
- Medication such as Coumadin should be stopped 5-6 days before the injection.
On the day of the procedure
- Plan to be at the surgery center at least one hour before the scheduled injection.
- An Anesthesiologist will interview you and explain the anesthetic plan.
- Come with a family member and do not plan to drive on the day of the injection.
- After the injection you will rest and recover for sometime in the recovery area.
- Plan to have an easy day after the procedure.
- Please schedule a follow-up appointment with Dr. Goswami at the office.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please call us at (973) 866-0336.